Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bring It...

I recently finished performing in my church's Christmas production - a tiring yet rewarding priviledge! I met a lovely new choir member during our dress rehearsals. When we met, we were discussing death and I shared with her that I had this fear of Heaven. That sounds crazy doesn't it? But I just kept thinking how it would just be DIFFERENT - not being with my family who was still on Earth, not being in my house, etc. I pictured myself sitting in a hard wooden pew for all of eternity - even though I know it won't really be that way. I just can't wrap my brain around what it will be like. This friend shared with me that she died when she was 12 years old. She was lifted out of her body by angels, she floated above her body watching the doctors work feverishly to revive her. She soared through the solar system and finally arrived at "the" tunnel of light. At the end was the source of this light - Christ Himself. They spoke and agreed that she should come back and, thus, here she is. Fast forward to the last night of the concert. My very favorite part of the entire concert was the manger scene. The song we sang was SO beautiful - I mean it really took my breath away to hear it, to be a part of it. All of our voices - mine and all my choir friends whom I love so much - blending together to make such a magnificent moment. I often had tears in my eyes - it just felt so sacred, so real, like you were really at the manger. It was an incredible high! I was sharing this with my new friend and she said something that changed everything for me. She said "Imagine being in that unbelievable, magnificent moment for the rest of eternity. That's what it's like in Heaven." She would know - she was there. That quick little exchange that took place in the stairwell of our church seriously changed my life! That seems a little weird. But I don't have that uncomfortable fear about the "unknown" of Heaven anymore. It will be even MORE wonderful than any moment we experience here on Earth - BRING IT!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Julie Bug,
I enjoyed reading about your experience in the performance this week. I don't think He will "bring it" for a long time! But when He does, I have no doubt it will be a place of everlasting joy and beauty. I'm so glad your friend helped you with this concern. It's not such a bizarre worry, you know. Lots of people have mixed emotions about Heaven. Even when you believe with all your heart what the Bible says will happen for a Believer at the moment of death, it can create fear and uncertainty when we know we will be there without the Earthly comforts of the homes we have created and the human relationships we cherish here. BUT...our Heavenly homes will be so overwhelmingly magnificent and our Earthly relationships will be so much more meaningful in Heaven because we will be truly worshipping with a joy so great we will have no room in our minds or hearts for sadness! A high like none other! As a human being I don't look forward to leaving my family and I intend to fight to live as long as I can, but when the time comes to go to Heaven I know each moment will be so glorious that I will only want an eternity of it!

I love you, Darlin...
Mom

Cheryl said...

Julie - What a neat experience for you.
I wanted to suggest Randy Alcorn's book "Heaven" for you. There are two editions...the long, theological, text book one (which is great for an indepth study) and the shorter abridged version.
While loosing my father this past summer I had many questions and even a fear like you...although I knew it would be the most amazing place. The actual place of heaven is something we don't talk a lot about and honestly something that most of our pastors know or teach little about. Alcorn has done an amazing job in searching the scriptures to bring an accurate view of eternity with our Heavenly Father.
My favorite part is where he says, "if we really understood how amazingly wonderful heaven is, we'd all be dying to get there!"