Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sarayu

So I finished "The Shack" and I must say that it is a life changing read. I want to read it again because it is such an intense book and I am certain I didn't catch all of the important stuff the first time around. One of my favorite parts of the book, without giving too much away, is that the Holy Spirit is named Sarayu in the book. I did a little research on this name and found that the Greek word for spirit in the New Testament is "pneuma," which can also be translated "wind" or "breath." "Sarayu," also meaning "wind," is therefore used as the name for the Holy Spirit in the book. I think that my perception of the Trinity is a fairly common one - God the Father is the one "in charge" and greatly resembles Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings:



Jesus is the one whom we can relate to the most:



The Holy Spirit...well......hmmmmm. I never really understood The Holy Spirit that much and never really gave a great deal of thought to it. One of the life changing effects of this book is how you view God and the character of each of the three in the Trinity. I so much enjoyed Sarayu in this book and realized that you can indeed have a relationship with The Holy Spirit and that The Spirit loves you as much as The Father and Jesus does! Each in the Trinity has a profound love of each person on this Earth and even the Holy Spirit has a beautiful personality. You must read this book! Seriously....go to the store immediately and buy it!!!

PS - I'm not sure it's appropriate to have a picture of Jesus and Dr. Evil on the same page!

PSS - My chore at work tonight was cleaning the bathrooms and, yes, I remembered to clean the mens' room this time!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I ran across your blog while researching the origin of Sarayu after reading "The Shack". Great Book and a must read for everyone!!!
What struck home for me was where Sarayu was explaining how the words Responsibility and Expectation as nouns came from "Her" true intent to mean: "the ability to respond and expectancy...full of life and possibility...(not)...full of fear and judgment."
She goes on to say to rely on relationships rather than rules to live your life. WOW! Great Advice!
Thanks, Gary